Oct 12, 2007

My Verdict


After 5 listens of the entire album (4 by order, 1 shuffled), I have finally come to a verdict:

This may be the best Radiohead album yet!

I say 'may', because my initial reactions to each individual Radiohead albums have always been grossly different from my final opinion after months and years of listening to them. (While I like most albums by other artists early on and get tired of them eventually, Radiohead almost always causes the opposite. I hated it at first when I listen to the latest released album, then gradually warm up to their new creative direction, and ultimately embraced them as geniuses who's still at the top of their form, constantly exploring new sound and structure).

But this is a first Radiohead album which I consistently like every single songs in the first couple of listen. There is not a single weak track here, but a whole chain of multi-layered, painstakingly crafted songs. To say that I'm blown away is an understatement indeed!

My favourite Radiohead albums have been OK Computer 1st, Kid A 2nd, The Bends 3rd. And now in Rainbows threatened to knock all 3 down 1 spot! Yes I actually (may) liked this more than the legendary poll-topper OK Computer!

1 comment:

Timothy said...

I really like it as well. I really hope it goes well for radiohead, the way they are selling this album is arguably revolutionary.

Faviourites on my end are reckoner, bodysnatchers, and weird fishes. They're all quite good though, except house of cards, don't care for it.

In terms of overall radiohead, my 2 faviourites are still street spirit and how to disappear completely.