Mar 25, 2008

Whinges from the Underground

It's sad when you really feel like updating your blog when it suddenly dawned on you that you have nothing interesting to write about regarding your life for the past couple of months. My life outside Medicine just ceased to exist. That would have been fascinating if it's not so depressing.

Then again, that's not quite true. Finally got to read a novel from beginning to end within a week, which is mostly due to the fact that I have a long 4-days Easter break. The book was The Kite Runner, by Khaled Hosseini. While the novel wasn't spectacular, it was quite a memorable read, with themes of betrayal, courage and redemption. As I've recently developed an interest in foreign culture that I'm totally ignorant about, I find viewing the world through an Afghan character intriguing. That said, I still find the author too optimistic about the States, probably because he is now an American I guess.

It's until I've finished reading The Kite Runner that I realize that I've forgotten the joys of reading. While I can't exactly say that I don't have the time to read novels since clinical phase started, I just find it hard to continuously reading a novel without long periods of interruptions. Studying Medicine is just too distracting for you to actually focusing in anything else. So far I've neglected my exercises, meals, sleep and hobbies. Whenever I find myself overwhelmed with boredom or disinterest in Medicine, I lose myself in hours of computer games, which makes hours disappear like seconds (damn you Oblivion!).

I seriously need to end this disengagement to my own life. I need to feel in control again. While I feel that I'm coping better this year, I'm still not completely there yet. I need to get my priorities right. I need to manage my time more wisely. I need to fuel my passion in life again.

But this is doubly hard as I could hardly find any other like-minded people around me. I constantly feel like I'm suffocated by the endless herd of buffoons, drunkards & sluts all around me. Are there really no kindred with a soul here? Or am I just too uptight?

1 comment:

Yuen said...

Try something new! Learn a language, take up a new hobby or sport, check out a restaurant/cafe you've never been before....anything that breaks the monotony of med school! =)

As for your statement "I constantly feel like I'm suffocated by the endless herd of buffoons, drunkards & sluts all around me...", hmmm....perhaps there is more to it than meets the eye?